Sunday, March 2, 2014

Laughter (and vodka-sodas) are the best medicine

This weekend has been particularly stressful for me. In between receiving rejection letter after rejection letter (after applying for jobs that hundreds of other 'brilliant, capable and industrious' applicants have vied for, it's probably to be expected that I won't knock them all out of the park), struggling to get through yet another event with extended family that I know as well as Britney Spears knows neurosurgery, and being away from my husband for the first time since we have been married while he's in the states for over a week..it's been a challenge to not repeat my recent Friday night excursion of overdoing it on red wine and Pop Tarts. After a few weeks of feeling extremely positive and motivated, shit is really getting to me.

There are few cures for misery more effective for me than books. Not eloquent, enthralling books. Ridiculous books written by ridiculous authors that make you remember the agony of almost peeing your pants on the train from laughing too hard. Books you can empathize with because of their sheer honesty about mortifying family members, drunken nights out, exes, misfortunes of all kinds, growing up and trying to survive in a world where you feel like everyone else is crazy. Books that don't take themselves too seriously because everything else is so serious.

Here's a short list of books perfect for when you're on the verge of booking a one-way ticket back home and ending your ex-pat adventure...

Are you there Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? And Other Concerns by Mindy Kaling

Bossypants by Tina Fey

My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson


Happy reading.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry it has been a depressing week for you...to be honest, it has been for me, too, but I don't even have reason for it. I just started crying last night because I was so tired of getting rained on everyday. And hand washing dishes. And living in a tiny flat. And not being able to walk through Target. The list goes on.

    I agree, the best thing to do is laugh! I loveeeee all of those books. I also like Jenny Lawson's blog. When I'm sad, I watch episodes of Parks and Recreation in bed while drinking wine and eating the American snacks that my family has shipped to me. Hope you have a better week! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete